Every year, the mixed Summer Sale produces top quality winners on the flat and over jumps, led this season by DORTMUND PARK, the winner of the Gr.1 Novice Hurdle Champion at the Punchestown Festival and the very consistent LORD GLITTERS, who scored in the prestigious Balmoral Handicap at Royal Ascot just a few months after being sold. Both went through the ring as horses-in-training at last year’s sale.
SAGLAWY, DIAMOND CAUCHOIS and SRELIGHONN, also Summer Sale graduates, have equally recently distinguished themselves at Group/Graded level over jumps in France or on the other side of the English Channel. On the flat, THE RIGHT MAN shone once again in the Gr.3 Prix de Seine-et-Oise, just like ABSOLUTE BLAST, who has been placed several times at the highest level.
This year, a total of 472 lots will come under the hammer. Cantered the day before on Deauville-La Touques’s all-weather surface, 71 flat-bred two-year-olds will open the sale on Tuesday, July 3 from 11:00am. They will be followed in the ring by 143 two and three-year-old stores. The sale will continue from 11:00am the next day with the breeding stock section gathering 75 fillies and broodmares before – 183 horses-in-training – close the second day. 12 Wild Cards are available in the last two sections.
The first day of the sale will start with the offering of 71 unraced two-year-olds, including progeny of the established sires DABIRSIM, DISTORTED HUMOR, DREAM AHEAD, IFFRAAJ, INVINCIBLE SPIRIT, MASTERCRAFTSMAN, MOTIVATOR, PIVOTAL, SIYOUNI, SEA THE STARS, SHOWCASING etc. Several promising young stallions are also represented, including those with first juveniles this year such as ALHEBAYEB, ANODIN, BATTLE OF MARENGO, BUNGLE INTHEJUNGLE, CAMERON HIGHLAND, COACH HOUSE, GALE FORCE TEN, GREGORIAN, MAGICIAN, MORPHEUS, MUKHADRAM, NO NAY NEVER and TORONADO.
Among those that are closely related to black-type performers in this section are:
- Lot 4, a son of Mastercraftsman out triple Group winner NASTY STORM, already the dam of Irish Group 3 winner ACTRESS. He is offered by The Channel Consignment.
- Lot 8, a grandson of Group 1 winner MERCALLE, also a half-brother to Listed scorer DEAUVILLE PRINCE. This son of Showcasing is consigned by Haras de Mirande.
- Lot 30, a son of Acclamation out of Group 2 winner CAMPFIRE GLOW, consigned by Knockanglass Stables.
- Lot 45, a half-brother to Group placed EXPRESSIY by Elusive City. Consigned by Ecurie des Noës.
- Lot 52, the second foal out of Listed winner GLOWING CLOUD by Dabirsim, offered from HDG Consignment.
Two and Three-Year-Old Stores
The best National Hunt sires are represented in this section with lots by BLUE BRESIL, COASTAL PATH, IRISH WELLS, GREAT PRETENDER, KAPGARDE, MARTALINE, NETWORK, NO RISK AT ALL, POLIGLOTE, SAINT DES SAINTS, TURGEON, VISION D’ETAT etc.
Of those, several siblings to top-class winners will go under the hammer, including:
- Lot 95, a half-brother to DORTMUND PARK (AQPS) by Martaline, consigned by Haras des Pierres Follets.
- Lot 145, a half-brother to PETIT MOUCHOIR by Masked Marvel, offered from Haras de l’Hotellerie;
- Lot 147, a half-brother to LABAIK by Falco, offered by Haras d’Haspel;
- Lot 165, a half-brother to the AQPS SILVINIACO CONTI by Poliglote, from Jean-Marie Callier;
- Lot 167, a half-sister to GOLDEN SILVER and OR OU ARGENT by Irish Wells, consigned by Haras de la Croix Sonnet;
- Lot 184, a full-sister to the AQPS ALEX DE LARREDYA, by Crillon, from Haras du Bergeret;
- Lot 196, a half-brother to LAURINA by Sri Putra, from Haras du Saz.
They will be joined by siblings to the talented jumpers ACAPELLA BOURGEOIS (lot 178), AMBROISE (lot 86), FRODON (lot 211), KITTEN ROCK (lot 123), VEZELAY (lot 82), ONIRALOIN (lot 172), VICENTE (lot 176), ULTRA LUCKY and GOOD LUCKY (lot 203), HORABORA HAS and HOTMALE HAS (lot 171).
For the third year running, the second day of the sale is dedicated to breeding stock, with a selection of fillies in/out of training and broodmares offered from the Haras d’Etreham, Haras de Montaigu, Haras de Montfort et Préaux etc.
For the flat-bred mares, covering sires include ALMANZOR, AL WUKAIR, BRAMETOT, ECTOT, CHARM SPIRIT, DARIYAN, DREAM AHEAD, OLYMPIC GLORY, RECORDER, SHALAA, THE GREY GATSBY, TORONADO, WINGS OF EAGLES, WOOTTON BASSETT while DOCTOR DINO, GREAT PRETENDER, MONTMARTRE, MARTALINE and NETWORK are represented as far as breeding for the jumps is concerned.
From those with flat profiles, of note:
- A half-sister to Group 1 winner MARGOT DID, SOLTADA (lot 229) is offered from Haras d’Etreham. This daughter of Dawn Approach is a maiden mare in-foal to Wootton Bassett.
- HEIGHT OF SUMMER (lot 231) is consigned by Coulonces Sales. In foal to Dariyan, this half-sister to Group 1 winner I’M A DREAMER hails from the family of ALL MY DREAMS, a winner at the same level as well as triple Group winner TIBERIAN.
- Also from Haras d’Etreham, AMOUR MALPIC (lot 232) is a maiden mare in foal to Almanzor. A daughter of Azamour, she comes from the family of Group 2 scorer SANS EQUIVOQUE.
- RYEDALE MIST (lot 245), is a half-sister to Group 2 winner FINJAAN and a granddaughter of dual American Grade 1 winner CHEVAL VOLANT. Offered in foal to Shalaa, she is sold by Haras de Castillon.
- Haras de Castillon also consigns ASEEL (lot 256), a daughter of dual Group winner CHANGING SKIES, and a sister to the very talented NATHANIEL, PLAYFUL ACT and PERCUSSIONIST. She will go under the hammer in foal to Toronado.
- KELTY IN LOVE (lot 266), a daughter of Keltos out of Listed winner EVER IN LOVE, was herself a winner at that level and Group placed. Already the dam of RIMINI, the winner of the Prix d’Arenberg, she will be offered in foal to WOOTTON BASSETT by Elevage des Trois Rivières.
- GONZEVILLE (lot 273), a half-sister to the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches Gr.1 TEPPAL is offered in foal to Recorder. This daughter of Le Havre will be sent through the ring by Haras de Montfort et Préaux.
- KEEPING QUIET (lot 274), is a sister to Haras d’Etreham’s stallion KAMSIN and black-type performer KAPITALE. In foal to Pedro The Great, she comes from Haras du Saz.
There are also several broodmares with top jumping pedigrees catalogued, including:
- KILFENORA (lot 216) from Elevage de Guerre. In foal to Kap Rock, she is closely related to black-type performers HURKHAN, LIMNOSKA, HURKOVA and ARTEMIDOR.
- KADOUNA (lot 220), a daughter of Saint des Saints from HSV Agency. This half-sister to triple Group 1 winning hurdler PIERROT LUNAIRE is a maiden mare in foal to JOSHUA TREE.
- RALIANKA (lot 222), a daughter of Martaline that won at Auteuil, is presented by Haras de la Hêtraie. This half-sister to Group 2 chase winner RAJASTHAN and this year’s L. Prix Beugnot scorer RASANGO is a maiden mare in foal to Great Pretender.
- Haras d’Enki consigns BUCK’S BRAVO (lot 254). This daughter of Kapgarde in foal to Network is out of a half-sister to the brilliant BIG BUCK’S, the winner of 19 Graded races of which 10 Grade 1s.
- A half-sister to dual Group winner DANAW, WALKADA (lot 259) comes from Haras de Fergand. In foal for the first time to Doctor Dino, this daughter of Walk In The Park comes from the well-known family of DARARA.
- The AQPS DIANE D’ARC (lot 279) will go under the hammer for Haras du Lieu des Champs. This daughter of Ballingary is a half-sister to black-type performer ROYAL D’ARC and Pretty Moon, the daughter of Group winning chaser BALL D’ARC.
183 performers are offered from trainers such as Alain de Royer Dupré, André Fabre, Carlos Laffon-Parias, Christophe Ferland, David Cottin, Emmanuel Clayeux, Fabrice Chappet, Francis-Henri Graffard, François Nicolle, Freddy Head, Guy Cherel, Henri-Alex Pantall, Henri-François Devin, Jean-Claude Rouget, Mikel Delzangles, Nicolas Clément, Philippe Sogorb, Pia Brant, Simone Brogi, Xavier Thomas-Demeaulte etc. Wertheimer & Frère are represented by 12 horses while the Aga Khan Studs offer 21.
Of the flat horses:
- André Fabre consigns the black-type performer MASTERPIECE (lot 389). Now a three-year-old, this very consistent son of Mastercraftsman has been placed four times in as many outings at Listed level this season. He recently finished third in the Coupe des Trois Ans (L.) behind the promising AL MALHOUF and FRENCH KING.
- Jean-Claude Rouget sends CINNAMON GIRL (lot 394) under the hammer. A granddaughter of Prix de Diane (Gr.1) winner VEREVA, she has been placed on each one of her four outings including when recently second in a Class 2 race at Marseille behind the unbeaten L’INDOMPTABLE.
- The progressive ESTEVE (lot 395), also offered from Jean-Claude Rouget’s yard has won his last two races including the Prix Soledad de Moraralla (C1) by two lengths. A three-year-old colt by Mastercraftsman, he is a grandson of dual Group winner TRUMBAKA.
- The winner of the Prix du Pont Alexandre III by two lengths at ParisLongchamp, the three-year-old gelding WILDERNESS NOW (lot 436) comes from Fabrice Chappet. Never out of the money in all his races, this half-brother to Listed winner LA BERMA has a rating of 43 (95).
National Hunt lots include:
- Five-year-old gelding REALM KEEPER (lot 399) from Louisa Carberry. He won the Prix Fils de Reine chase at Compiègne on May 4, having finished third in a chase over 3,800 metres at Angers on his previous outing.
- Emmanuel Clayeux’s ETONNANT (lot 402), recently won on the flat by more than seven lengths over 3,100 metres having finished runner up on his debut over 2,400 metres. A four-year-old AQPS gelding, he is from the family of Group placed NYMPHE DE SIVOLA.
- Christophe Lotoux offers DEKER STAR (lot 407). Very consistent, this five-year-old AQPS gelding, that has not yet run over fences, recently won at Vannes over 3,100 metres and has always been in the money on every one of his six outings.
Two days before the auction, the “Lumet Show” will take place at Bécon-les-Granits, near Angers, some 3 hours from Deauville. This show has been organized for the past four years by pre-trainer David Lumet and for the first time feature, all horses will be auctioned by ARQANA after the schooling session.
Also available online at www.arqana.com , the catalogue gathers 57 pre-trained two and three-year-old National Hunt horses. They will be put through their paces over hurdles at Ecuries de la Ridaudière from 9:30am before going under the hammer from 3:00pm.
The catalogue includes many sons and daughters of the best NH stallions such as Al Namix, Balko, Cokoriko, Kapgarde, Martaline, No Risk At All, Poliglote and Saint des Saints.
Sunday, July 1 – Lumet Show at Bécon-les-Granits – starting at 9:30am, auction from 3:00pm
Monday, July 2 – breeze from 3:00pm
Tuesday, July 3 – breeze-up 2yos & stores – sale from 11:00am
Wednesday, July 4 – breeding stok and horses in training – sale from 11:00am
For further information:
email@example.com – www.arqana.com – +33 (0)2 31 81 81 00