Fresh off a spectacular season on the track for progeny of fillies and mares purchased at the ARQANA Breeding Stock Sale, the catalogue for the 2016 renewal of the auction, which will take place in Deauville Saturday 3 to Tuesday 6 December, has just been released. It comprises a total of 933 horses including 453 broodmares, 186 fillies in and out of training, 286 foals, 6 stallions and 2 stallion shares. Part I numbers 199 selected offerings, with Part II expanding over the following three days. 10 Wild Cards are also still available for blue-blooded fillies and mares. Last year, 4 Wild Cards were purchased for an average price above €260,000.
Among the most affordable sources of Group 1 producers
Horses bred from fillies and broodmares bought at the ARQANA Breeding Stock sale include three of the highest-rated contenders in Europe in ALMANZOR, QEMAH and VADAMOS. The first named, who was crowned European champion courtesy of his jaw-dropping displays in the Gr.1 Prix du Jockey Club, Gr.1 Irish Champion Stakes and Gr.1 QIPCO Champion Stakes, is the first foal out of Darkova, a daughter of Maria’s Mon from the family of triple Group 1 victrix Darjina who was snapped up for €16,000 off the track by Nicolas de Chambure’s Canirola Bloodstock from the Aga Khan Studs.
Qemah turned many heads when holding the likes of Alice Springs and Jet Setting at bay in the Gr.1 Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot and doubled up in the Gr.1 Prix Rothschild, beating Alice Springs for the second time as well as her elders Esoterique, Amazing Maria et al. She is the first foal out of the Gr.3 placed Kartica, for which Pierre Talvard of Haras du Cadran shelled out €120,000 via Chantilly Bloodstock when the daughter of Rainbow Quest was offered by trainer Philippe Demercastel.
Vadamos stamped his claim as one of the best milers in Europe when running away with the Gr.1 Prix du Moulin de Longchamp, having previously won twice at Group 2 level. In doing so, he vindicated Andreas Putsch’s bold decision to spend €525,000 on the regally-bred Listed winner Célèbre Vadala, another member of the Aga Khan Studs draft.
Group winners stemming from the ARQANA Breeding Stock sale also include Classic hopefuls in both hemispheres. Aidan O’Brien’s impressive Gr.2 Beresford Stakes scorer and Gr.1 Criterium de Saint-Cloud 3rd CAPRI was bred from Dialafara, a €125,000 purchase by Margaret O’Toole from the Aga Khan Studs. Down under, the L. Newgate Breeders’ Plate winner KHAN, who currently dominates the two-year-old rankings in Australia, is proving a handsome reward for Jon Haseler’s Glenlogan Park Stud, which bought his dam Mandawara through Neil Jenkinson, also from the Aga Khan Studs. The mare is a half-sister to subsequent Gr.1 winners Manndawi and Manighar and cost only €30,000 in December 2010.
2016 Group scorers HESHEM, AL WATHNA, GOLDEN VALENTINE, BROWNIE etc. are among many other smart racehorses whose breeding originated in the Deauville sales ring.
Black type winners and performers abound
Fillies with black type to their own name are headed by:
- PARVANEH (lot 178 – rating 110), who will be brought to the ring by Ecurie des Monceaux on behalf of owners Darius Racing. Having been placed at Group level as a juvenile, the daughter of Holy Roman Emperor took a pair of Group events in Germany this season for trainer Waldemar Hickst including a competitive renewal of the Gr.2 Badener Stutenpreis and also ran 4th in the Gr.1 Preis von Europa. Her dam is a half-sister to the durable Group scorers Sky Hunter, Nayyir and Highest.
- CAMPROCK (lot 158 – rating 109), offered by Coulonces Consignment, won the L. Prix Rose de Mai and Gr.3 Prix Pénélope before coming home a close 2nd to Jemayel in the Gr.1 Prix Saint-Alary. She is by Myboycharlie out of the Gr.3 scorer and Oaks fourth Camporese, from the family of the highly influential Hasili.
- STEIP AMACH (lot 168 – rating 108), consigned by Haras d’Etreham, had an extremely prolific campaign this year, landing the Gr.3 Amethyst Stakes and Killavullan Stakes for her owner-breeder-trainer Jim Bolger before being transferred to David Smaga, for whom she took 3rd in the Gr.1 Prix Rothschild and Prix Jean Romanet. A daughter of Vocalised, Steip Amach is a half-sister to the Gr.3 scorer Ceisteach and hails from the Aga Khan family of Shalanaya, Shergar, Shamdala and Shamdinan.
Other black type fillies and maiden mares to go under the hammer include the Listed scorers DANCE IN THE PARK (lot 1), MELIORA (lot 47), PORTHILLY (lot 82), SEA FRONT (lot 116), IROMEA (lot 131), GROWING GLORY (lot 133), GAME THEORY (lot 179), QATAR POWER (lot 195), KAMBURA (lot 122) as well as Group performers PHYSIOCRATE (lot 152), DRESSED IN FUR (lot 156), BRAVO GIRL (lot 176), etc.
Blue-blooded stock from the best breeding operations in Europe
Other attractive breeding prospects come in the shape of many blue-blooded fillies and mares, including several from the exclusive draft offered by Wertheimer et Frère as well as those of the Aga Khan Studs, Haras de Saint-Pair and Godolphin.
Among the highlights in the first-named, which numbers 19 lots, are:
- REPONDS MOI (lot 153), a daughter of More Than Ready out of Gr.1 victrix Pas De Reponse, hence a full or half-sister to three black type winners, offered in foal to Intello;
- Also carrying to Intello is COLONIALISTE (lot 88), a half-sister to Gr.1 scorer Sortilege whose dam is a full sibling to Gr.1 heroes Schiaparelli, Samum and Salve Regina;
- URBAN HILL (lot 91), a three-year-old winning daughter of Galileo whose dam has also produced the Gr.2 victrix Legerete as well as the dam of Falco and Iron Lips;
- SILIMIRI (lot 112), an unraced daughter of Dansili and half-sister to the dual Gr.1 heroine Silasol, from the family of Solemia and The Ghurka.
The 26-strong Aga Khan Studs draft is led by:
- SARZAMEEN (lot 89), an unraced Siyouni half-sister to the Gr.3 Prix de Lieurey winner and Gr.1 placed Sarkiyla;
- ALBAIYDA (lot 154), a daughter of Sea The Stars out of the Listed scorer Alanamara, who has also produced Gr.3 Prix Messidor victrix and Gr.1 Beverly D. Stakes runner-up Alnadana;
- DALDIYNA (lot 161), a Dansili half-sister to the Dubai Sheema Classic conqueror Dolniya, from the family of Dalakhani and Daylami.
Godolphin will bring 25 fillies and mares to Deauville, including:
- JOYERIA (lot 6), a three-year-old daughter of Medaglia d’Oro and the first foal out of the Gr.1 Ashland Stakes and Gr.1 Del Mar Oaks heroine Evening Jewel;
- WHITE WITCH (lot 19), a Listed-placed filly by Invincible Spirit out of Argentinian Champion juvenile Ishitaki;
- JOLLIFY (lot 23), a three-year-old Manduro filly out of the dual Gr.3 victrix Jomana who is rated 100, having taken 4th in the Gr.3 Prix de Royaumont and romped to a four-lengths victory at Saint-Cloud last Sunday;
- EDWINSTOWE (lot 33), a winning daughter of Shamardal out of the German champion three-year-old and Gr.1 Prix de l’Opéra scorer Lady Marian;
- OPERA DAME (lot 48), a winning filly by Medaglia d’Oro out of the Gr.1 Prix Vermeille heroine Mezzo Soprano, hence a half-sister to the Gr.3 and multiple Listed scorer Claremont;
- EMIRATES COMFORT (lot 85), a daughter of Dubawi out of the Gr.1 winner Royal Highness, who has already produced the triple Group scorer Free Port Lux, who is offered carrying her first foal by Dawn Approach.
Andreas Putsch has developed a highly select broodmare band at his Haras de Saint-Pair and will be offering 5 lots including MANASAROVA (lot 171), a three-year-old daughter of More Than Ready who ran 3rd at Listed level and hails from the family of Singspiel, Mezzo Soprano and Saint Ballado.
Broodmares coming with solid guarantees
The catalogue offers a wealth of exciting broodmares carrying to leading proven sires such as Le Havre, Siyouni, Kendargent, Kodiac, Lope De Vega, Exceed And Excel, Mastercraftsman, Wootton Bassett, Zoffany, etc. or providing the first opportunity to acquire a foal-to-be by the likes of Brazen Beau, Gutaifan, Hunter’s Light, Ivawood, Kingston Hill, Make Believe, Muhaarar, Night Of Thunder, The Wow Signal etc.
- ELAYOUNA (lot 111), from La Motteraye Consignment, is a winning half-sister to the outstanding miler Ervedya offered in foal to Ervedya’s sire Siyouni;
- Also carrying her first foal by Siyouni is SWEET DREAM (lot 115), from the draft of Ecurie des Monceaux, a Listed-placed daughter of the Gr.1 Prix Vermeille winner Sweet Stream;
- Offered by Haras du Buff, ACCLIMATISATION (lot 117) is a half-sister to the Gr.1 Prix de l’Abbaye victrix Gilt Edge Girl who was covered by Le Havre for the first time;
- UPBEAT MOOD (lot 141), another from Monceaux, is a Listed-placed half-sister to the Group-winning juvenile Antonoe and carries her first foal by Siyouni;
- ANNOVILLE (lot 151) is a full-sister to the unbeaten dual Classic heroine La Cressonière, offered by Haras de l’Aumonerie;
- From Haras des Capucines, ANA LUNA (lot 166) is the dam of Gr.1 victrix Alterite and carries to Invincible Spirit;
- EMERALD STAR (lot 173), also offered by Haras des Capucines, won the Gr.3 Chartwell Fillies Stakes and is in foal to Le Havre;
- Offered by Haras d’Ombreville, LAST GOLD (lot 184) is a half-sister to the unbeaten juvenile Akihiro, impressive victor of the Gr.3 Prix des Chênes, with a cover by first season sire Ivawood;
- BASSAMBA (lot 191) won at Listed level and is a half-sister to Gr.1 Poule d’Essai des Pouliches runner-up Baine. She is consigned by Haras du Berlais, in foal to Style Vendome.
Foals with spectacular upside
286 foals will come under the hammer, headed by progeny of the leading sires Frankel, Galileo, Sea The Stars, as well as exciting newcomers Anodin, Australia, Charm Spirit, No Nay Never, Olympic Glory, Masked Marvel, Sea The Moon, Toronado, etc.
- Lot 80 is part of a 5-strong draft consigned for the first time in Deauville by Kentucky-based Brookdale Farm. She is a Dansili filly out of a half-sister to four-time Grade 1 winner Flute, from the family of Sea Moon, Workforce and Qualify;
- Lot 147, offered by Haras de Bernesq, is a daughter of Frankel out of the Gr.1 placed Fauvelia;
Haras des Capucines has a strong hand on the foal category, including:
- Lot 143, a filly by Sea The Stars out of the Listed victrix Peinture Rose, who has already produced two plack type performers;
- Lot 159, a filly by Galileo, a full sister to the Gr.3 victrix Galatee whose breeding record already includes the Gr.2 winners Dartmouth and Manatee;
- Lot 165, a half-brother by Oasis Dream to the Gr.1 Garden City Stakes victrix Alterite;
6 stallions will kick off the closing session on Tuesday 6 December, including Danehill’s son Archange d’Or (lot 782), promising young sire Shakespearean (lot 783), speed influence Amadeus Wolf (lot 784), Haras de Grandcamp’s freshman stallion Evasive’s First (lot 786), National Hunt sire Linda’s Lad (lot 787) as well as shares in leading jumps sire Martaline and rising first Silver Frost.
National Hunt stock
Tuesday 6 December will feature NH foals by the likes of Blue Bresil, Kapgarde, Martaline, Masked Marvel, Montmartre, No Risk At All, Saint des Saints, Walk In the Park, etc. and fillies out of training and broodmares from the finest jumping families in France, notably including:
- Lot 813, offered by Haras de Montaigu, a colt foal by Martaline who is a three-parts brother to champion hurdler Gemix;
- Lot 861, offered by Hamel Stud, the L. Prix Wild Monarch victrix MOMITA HAS, a daughter of Califet and half-sister to the consistent Group performer over hurdles, Mocalacato Has;
- Haras des Capucines offers PEACE LINA (lot 873), the dam of Gr.1 JCB Triumph Hurdle Peace And Co, in foal to Saint des Saints;
- Haras du Berlais’s HOUSTON DU BERLAIS (lot 924) was Listed-placed over hurdles and is a half-sister to the top class jumpers Madison Du Berlais, Hilton Du Berlais, Jameson Du Berlais and Shannon Du Berlais. She is in foal to Masked Marvel;
- From the same draft, BOREALE DU BERLAIS (lot 941) also performed at Listed level at Auteuil and is from the blue-blooded family of Bonito Du Berlais, Nikita Du Berlais, Carlita Du Berlais etc. She carries her first foal by Saint Des Saints.
Catalogue online at www.arqana.com
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org