The catalogue for ARQANA’s Autumn Sale, which takes place from November 14-16 in Deauville, is now online at www.arqana.com. The first day (Monday) offers 246 horses-in-training and two-year-old stores, while the next two days are followed by 393 yearlings with a focus on National Hunt breds on the Tuesday.
12 Wild Cards are available in the Horses-In-Training section. These late entries are reserved for recent runners, and resulted last year in three of the four top prices, which were headlined last year by the three-year-old AQPS consigned by Laurent Viel, CHIRICO VALLIS, which was sold for €355,000 to Horse Racing Advisory (Hubert Barbe).
Group winners at every price range
Each year, this is the final sale of the season that allows trainers to turn horses over before the arrival of the yearlings, never failing to produce top class winners at every price range. It also offers British and Irish buyers the opportunity to purchase exciting prospects ahead of the National Hunt season.
The extremely consistent SILVERWAVE, winner of the Gr.1 Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud and Gr.2 Prix Foy, as well as being placed in the Prix d’Ispahan and Prix Ganay this season, made the top price at this sale in 2014. He was bought for €420,000 by Alain Couetil for HSpirit having won both his starts as a juvenile.
SUBWAY DANCER, the winner of the Gr.3 Prix Andre Baboin earlier this month, had been bought for just €3,000 by Chris Richner from Ecuries Diane as an unraced three-year-old.
Over jumps, PTIT ZIG, the subsequent winner of the Gr.1 Grande Course de Haies d’Auteuil (French Champion Hurdle), was bought here for €100,000 by Highflyer Bloodstock when in training with Yannick Fouin. Another Grade 1 winning hurdler ARCTIC FIRE, which also finished second in the Gr.1 Irish Champion Hurdle last season, Gr.1 placed chaser AS DE MEE, and Richard Venn’s 2015 purchase SUPERB STORY from Jonathan Pease, are just some of the other leading lights that have come from the Autumn Sale.
The stores section has produced the very promising MIN, which was consigned by Haras de Grandcamp and bought for €6,000 by Guy Petit, as well as several others that have gone on to illustrate themselves. Of those sold as yearlings at the Autumn Sale, horses such as AGRAPART, FOX NORTON, CHIC NAME and COMAS SOLA were all sold under the National Hunt section, while on the flat, the very talented SILJAN’S SAGA, dual US Group winner BLACKTYPE, and recent Listed winner PALINODIE, all came under the hammer.
Horses In Training, Monday, November 14 at 11:00am
197 horses-in-training will be offered from the best European and French trainers, including several that have already earned some black-type.
- DESERT POINT (lot 126), a four-year-old gelded son of Le Havre, has been a model of consistency for trainer Yan Durepaire and took 3rd in the 2400m L. Memorial Duque de Toledo at Madrid yesterday;
- KING OF SPADES (lot 152), a two-year-old colt offered to dissolve a partnership after a consistent season which included a second placed finish in the G3 Prix Eclipse, 5th in the G1 Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere, and the same place in the G2 Criterium de Maisons-Laffitte.
- BLACK SEA (lot 154), consigned from Alain de Royer Dupre’s stable, has never finished out of the first five. As a three-year-old, he took the Listed Prix Policeman and Prix Francois Mathet, before finishing second in the Swiss Derby and the G3 Grand Prix de Vichy.
- MOON TROUBLE (lot 131), trained by Freddy Head, was placed in the Prix Djebel and Paul de Moussac this year;
- CARZOFF (lot 143), offered by Alain Couetil, was third in the Grand Prix du Lion d’Angers (L.) in 2016 before finishing fifth in the G2 Prix Niel and the Listed Prix Vulcain;
- MANGUSTO (lot 144), consigned by Mauricio Delcher Sanchez, has put up several good runs in Group and Listed races over sprinting distances
The Aga Khan Studs will sell a total of nine horses-in-training, including:
- CHELKAR (lot 157), a three-year-old gelding by Azamour that counts three wins over intermediate distances from five runs, including a “B” conditions race at Chantilly yesterday where he held off fellow Aga Khan Studs colour-bearer Deremah and the highly-regarded Beyond Apollo;
- SHALAKAR (lot 158), a son of Cape Cross out of the excellent Shalanaya, also a winner of two races, including a “B” race at Saint-Cloud over 3,000 metres.
- ASHKOUL (lot 159), a half-brother to the talented jumper Ashkazar, that has been very consistent this year. He won his last start over 1,950 metres.
Several horses-in-training have already shown their jumping suitability, including:
- TAKEALOT (lot 168), a half-brother to the talented TATENEN by Turtle Bowl that finished third in the Listed Prix Finot Hurdle for trainer Dominique Bressou;
- The champion AQPS CHAMBARD (lot 202), trained by Alain Couetil, which won the Prix de Craon, one of the first Group 1 races created for the breed this season;
- DOUX PRETENDER (lot 207), a son of Great Pretender representing Fabrice Foucher, who has won his only outing to date at Nantes over 2,400 metres.
- The consistent CAPIVARI (lot 211), a son of Champion Stayer Yeats that finished third in the G3 Prix Pierre de Lassus over hurdles at Auteuil last time after winning and having taken three runner-up spots in Listed races at the same racecourse.
Two-Year-Old Stores section
37 two-year-old stores will be offered on the first day of the sale by stallions that include ANZILLERO, BLUE BRESIL, BUCK’S BOOM, COASTAL PATH, DRAGON DANCER, GREAT PRETENDER, KAPGARDE, MARTALINE, MONTMARTRE, MY RISK, NETWORK, NO RISK AT ALL, POLIGLOTE, SADDLER MAKER, SAINT DES SAINTS, SHOLOKHOV, SOLDIER OF FORTUNE etc.
- Lot 173, a half-brother to champion Reve de Sivola by Anzillero, the sire of Valseur Lido, consigned by Haras de Palinges;
- Lot 182, a son of Saddler Maker offered from Haras de Cercy out of a mare that has already produced dual Listed Hurdle winning Joly Nelsa.
Yearling Section, Tuesday 15 and Wednesday 16 November at 1pm
During the first day dedicated to yearlings, several lots from the best National Hunt families will be on offer, including:
- Lot 268, a half-sister by No Risk At All to Gr.1 winners over hurdles LAC FONTANA and ALL YOURS, offered by Haras de la Perrigne;
- Lot 274, a son of Blue Bresil consigned by Haras de la Croix Sonnet, out of a mare that has already produced OR OU ARGENT and GOLDEN SILVER, the multiple Gr.1 winning chaser in Ireland;
- Lot 304, also presented by Haras de la Croix Sonnet, is the first foal by Saint Des Saints out of a daughter of VIE DE REINE, a half-sister to VINO GRIEGO and TARUMA;
- Lot 317, from Haras du Buff, a son of Kap Rock and the talented Manson Teene, which has also produced Listed Auteuil Hurdle winner TURTEENE;
- Lot 336, consigned by Hamel Stud, a half-brother by Saint des Saints to the talented performers MOCALACATO HAS and MOMITA HAS;
- Lot 352, a half-brother by Martaline to ill-fated Irish Gr.1 winning hurdler PONT ALEXANDRE, offered from Haras du Logis Saint-Germain;
- Lot 356, a son of Saint des Saints out of the Listed flat winner PLAYACT, which has already produced the good jumper PIERROT LUNAIRE;
- Lot 362, a son of Kapgarde, a half-brother to Listed Prix General de Rougemont winner RASANGO, from Haras du Camp Benard;
- Lot 364, a son of Dream Well, a brother to multiple Group winning hurdler LE GRAND LUCE, from Haras de Maulepaire;
- Lot 394, a half-brother by Martaline to the excellent chaser TATENEN, offered from Haras de Montaigu;
- Lot 416, consigned by Haras des Eclos, a son of French Fifteen and Gr.3 Prix Edmond Barrachin winner VIE DE REINE, already the dam of four black-type winners including VINO GRIEGO and TARUMA;
- Lot 440, offered from Haras des Granges, a half-brother by Youmzain to Gr.2 chase winner CRISTAL BONUS;
Of the flat-bred yearlings, lots on offer are by stallions including SIYOUNI, LE HAVRE, KENDARGENT, DABIRSIM, ELUSIVE CITY, GEORGE VANCOUVER, LITERATO, MOTIVATOR, NATHANIEL, PENNY’S PICNIC, RAJSAMAN, ROCK OF GIBRALTAR, SUNDAY BREAK, STYLE VENDOME, WOOTTON BASSETT etc.
Catalogue online on www.arqana.com
For catalogues and details: email@example.com