The October yearling sale, third rendez-vous of the year entirely dedicated to this category, will take place in Deauville from Tuesday 20 to Friday 23 October. The catalogue, which is now available at www.arqana.com, is made up of a selection of 597 yearlings which will be offered for sale as follows:
- Part I, comprising 192 yearlings, to take place on Tuesday 20 October.
- Part II encompasses the next three days’ sessions, made up respectively of 125, 166 and 114 yearlings.
Apart from a few exceptions, all these yearlings are born and raised in France or assimilated as such and will as of next year benefit from a 64% premium on any prizemoney they earn in France, thanks to the lucrative owners’ premiums (64% at age 2 and 3, 43% at age 4 and up).
The October yearling sale offers with incredible consistency future winners at the highest level, at a very diverse range of prices. Recent Prix Jean Romanet Gr.1 winner ODELIZ was bought for only €22,000 while dual Classic winners AVENIR CERTAIN (€45,000) and THE GREY GATSBY (€24,000), champion TREVE (bought back for €22,000), recent Group 1 winners CHARM SPIRIT (€140,000), CONTRIBUTER (€60,000), HIGH JINX (€37,000) and VORDA (€9,000), are all graduates of this sale. Flag-bearers among the current two-year-old generation include Critérium du Fonds Européen de l’Elevage (L.) scorer ROBIN OF NAVAN, bought for only €10,000, as well as smart maiden winners LONDON PROTOCOL (€17,000) and CORNY (€60,000).
Amended timings to optimise working conditions
For the first time this year, the October Yearling Sale will kick off on Tuesday rather than Monday. Moreover, selling will start at 11:00am each day, except for the Wednesday session which will begin at 3:30pm.
Eric Hoyeau commented on the changes: “We thrive to provide our vendors and buyers with a maximum amount of comfort. In this respect, we felt that the Monday start didn’t allow enough time for inspections as many French-based professionals are racing at Longchamp or elsewhere the day before, while our British and Irish customers also have a busy weekend with British Champions Day. With the Tuesday start, there will be two full days dedicated to inspections as all the horses catalogued on the first two days will be available for showing from Sunday morning. Moreover, we will be able to start each session earlier and finish at a decent time. The Wednesday session will be the only one to start at 3:30pm due to the Gr.3 Prix des Réservoirs fixture at Deauville, and will comprise a smaller number of yearlings”.
A large panel of proven and promising stallions
The 2015 catalogue brings together stock from proven stallions such as ACCLAMATION, AMERICAN POST, BIG BAD BOB, CAPE CROSS, DANSILI, DARK ANGEL, DUTCH ART, ELUSIVE CITY, EXCEED AND EXCEL, FASTNET ROCK, HIGH CHAPARRAL, HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR, IFFRAAJ, INVINCIBLE SPIRIT, KENDARGENT, KYLLACHY, LAWMAN, LE HAVRE, LOPE DE VEGA, MAKFI, MASTERCRAFTSMAN, MOTIVATOR, NEW APPROACH, OASIS DREAM, ROCK OF GIBRALTAR, SHAMARDAL, SEA THE STARS, SIYOUNI, TEOFILO, etc.
Exciting young stallions also have pride of place, including CANFORD CLIFFS, DREAM AHEAD, RODERIC O’CONNOR, WOOTTON BASSETT, ZANZIBARI and ZOFFANY.
First crop sires with yearlings in the catalogue include BORN TO SEA, CASAMENTO, DELEGATOR, DRAGON PULSE, EXCELEBRATION, HARBOUR WATCH, HELMET, JUKEBOX JURY, NATHANIEL, NO RISK AT ALL, RAJSAMAN, RIO DE LA PLATA, SCALO, TIN HORSE, SEPOY and SO YOU THINK, as well as the first European-bred yearlings by REDOUTE’S CHOICE.
A profusion of well-related yearlings
- Haras de Colleville will offer two nice colts by resident stallion Kendargent, who has a total of 28 yearlings in the sale. Lot 4 is notably a half-brother to the exciting two-year-old MONT KIARA, who won impressively at Newcastle for Kevin Ryan having run 3rd in the Gr.3 Prix de Cabourg at Deauville.
- Fresh from their spectacular results at the August sale, Ecurie des Monceaux will offer 27 yearlings including a Hard Spun half-brother to the smart CALYPSO BEAT (lot 6), a Makfi half-sister to MANIGHAR (lot 111), as well as youngsters by Acclamation, Excelebration, Fastnet Rock and Redoute’s Choice.
- One of the stalwarts of the October Yearling Sale, Haras de Grandcamp was recently in the spotlight courtesy of the Gr.1 Prix Jean Romanet victrix ODELIZ, whom they raised and sold for €22,000 at this session four years ago. They will offer the largest draft in the sale with 51 yearlings including lot 8, as son of Exceed and Excel out of Alix Road, and therefore a half brother to SUMBAL, who won the Prix Greffulhe (Gr.2), and LAVENDER LANE, who was placed several times at Group 2 level.
- Haras de Saint-Pair will send out a select draft of four well-related yearlings including lot 13, a Lawman half brother to AMPERE, who is rated 115 on the back of his Prix Hocquart (Gr.2) victory and second-place finish in the Grand Prix de Paris (Gr.1). Andreas Putsch’s operation will also send through the ring a Redoute’s Choice filly from the family of ANABAA (lot 22) and a colt by Shamardal (lot 57).
- Haras des Capucines will consign 31 yearlings including lot 62, a colt by the coveted Dansili who is a half-brother to the Prix de Sandringham (Gr.2) winner LAUGH OUT LOUD. Their draft also comprises a Holy Roman Emperor half brother to the Gr.1 victrix ALTERITE (lot 14) as well as a half-brother to the top juvenile HIGH CELEBRITY, winner of the Prix d’Arenberg (Gr.2) and placed in the Cheveley Park Stakes (Gr.1) (lot 75).
- Haras du Logis will send out four yearlings from the first crop of their resident stallion, the French champion two-year-old Rio De La Plata, who saw his first yearling through a sales ring achieve €250,000 at the August sale. Their draft also includes a filly by sire sensation Zoffany (lot 82) who is the second foal out of a Listed-placed mare from Gestüt Schlenderhan’s “I” family (IOTA, IRIAN, etc.)
- Haras du Quesnay, who offered TREVE at this sale four years ago, will send out a contingent of 16 yearlings including lot 83, a Redoute’s Choice colt out of the talented JAKONDA, who has already produced the smart juvenile CHEMICAL CHARGE, unbeaten in two starts in the UK last season.
- Haras du Mézeray will offer 15 yearlings by proven sires such as Dutch Art, Holy Roman Emperor, Mastrecraftsman, Redoute’s Choice as well as an Invincible Spirit filly out of the Listed winner Lumière Noire (lot 99)
- The up-and-coming Haras du Mont dit Mont has opted to offer all their homebred yearlings at the October sale. Their solid draft of 12 youngsters include several by young black type mares including lot 133, an Invincible Spirit colt who is the first foal out of the Listed winning juvenile PUTYBALL and lot 171, a Redoute’s Choice filly who is the first foal out of the Listed scorer SUNDAY NECTAR. Redoute’s Choice’s first Northern Hemisphere-bred yearlings achieved an impressive average price of €366,000 in August.
- La Motteraye Consignment will offer 32 yearlings including lot 136, the only Sea The Stars in the catalogue. He is the first foal out of the Listed-placed REEECH BAND, a speedy and precocious daughter of Choisir.
- Haras d’Etreham will go to Deauville with 19 yearlings among which stand-outs include lot 154, a colt by the young stallion Power half brother out of the proven SHARP POINT. She has already produced the multiple Group winner FRACTIONAL as well as the two-year-old filly SHWAIMSA (Canford Cliffs), who impressed at Haydock when winning first time out in the colours of Al Shaqab Racing. The draft also includes 4 yearlings by resident stallion Wootton Bassett, whose first crop includes plenty of two-year-olds winners headed by the unbeaten ALMANZOR.
- Coulonces Consignment have 27 yearlings in the catalogue, headed by lot 161, a colt by Oasis Dream out of a full sister to the Group 1 scorer SUDAN, as well as three youngsters by Le Havre, who is this year again enjoying tremendous results on the track.
Catalogue online at www.arqana.com
and soon available on the iPad Equineline App